[scribus] LEARNING TO USE BASH

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 19:09:55 CEST 2010

On 09/22/2010 12:38 PM, Jim Ford wrote:
> On 9/22/2010 5:34 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>>
>> On 09/22/2010 01:42 AM, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
>>> This is a bit OT for the Scribus list, but I hope people
>>> don't mind.
>>
>> A little help is one thing; if it's going to get very detailed, it might
>> be better to take it off-list.  Not that I mind, if I used that distro,
>> I'd be helping too, but some members might find it too off-topic.
>
> I don't mind either - I welcome Linux tips from anywhere!

The other thing I would say is that a number of the on-topic discussions
have to do with things that people could quite easily discover
themselves with experimentation, checking the online docs, checking the
wiki, and doing even a cursory scan of the ML archives.

Here is a link to a free-as-in-beer reference for bash commands.

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/introduction-to-the-command-line-%28second-edition%29/12665426

As I have gone through this part of the way, I would say that you need
to be able to translate to your distro for various issues. Like many of
such references, there is no sensible (in my view) prioritization of
commands to focus on more used/useful ones.

It seems everyone wants to talk about 'who', but if you are using a
single-user system, and you're the only one logged in, well DUH!

For example, 'alias' is a tremendously useful command, letting you setup
a personal shortcut for all kinds of things, like building Scribus -- I
use it to run cmake to direct a version to its own directory.

Learn about these:

ls, cd, rm, mv, cp, grep, alias, man. man lets you learn how to use some
programs from the command line, and is also an introduction to the lingo
of the built-in documentation (also takes some learning). Also learn
about pipes and directing output to a file. Build from there as you see fit.

Greg