[scribus] LEARNING TO USE BASH

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Sep 22 18:18:42 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 07:24:56 a.l.e wrote:

> echo("well, we have settled long ago that on this list everybody
> can use the language she prefers...\n");
> die('ciao'."\n".implode(".", array('a','l','e')));

Cute, but my system does not have the program or script "die".

Many years ago (before Linux) I bought a *nix-like OS called
"Coherent." It had the best manual I have ever seen for an OS. Google
on "Coherent Manual" in quotes and maybe a cheap copy is still
available. I still look up bits of *nix arcana like sed etc. on its
pages.

Another decent and free source for Slackware is the downloadable pdf
"Slackware Linux Essentials." I downloaded it and a relative who works
in the printing trade made two wirebound copies, one for him and one
for me.

There may be other distribution-specific guides around. No single one
will cover everything.

Our local branch of the public library has some books on Linux that
may be worth borrowing.

Each Linux distribution is different but the standard utilities like
sort, grep, ls, diff vim etc. work the same on most of them. The plain
ASCII file is the common language for all of them.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press