[scribus] LEARNING TO USE BASH

Robert Marma robert_marma at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 22:43:34 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I appreciate the advice and encouragement that all of you have offered me at
this time, while I am learning to navigate through openSUSE.  I have decided
that, apart from normal, daily housekeeping tasks like file copying, writing
letters, and web browsing--all of which I can accomplish with the Gnome
desktop--I should attempt to concentrate on learning Bash commands for more
esoteric tasks, such as advanced disc operations and--eventually--writing simple
scripts.  After all, these commands are at the very heart of everything that
openSUSE and Gnome do.  In addition, as some of you have keenly observed,
acquiring a proficiency with the command shell will allow me to manually
download and install packages and updates and, hopefully someday, even to
intelligently modify and improve them.  Having become comfortable years ago with
the MS-DOS command shell and with using a BASIC interpreter, I have no doubt
that eventually I will be able to accomplish this, but I fear it's still a long
way down the road.

Again, I realize that this forum is devoted primarily to Scribus users and their
problems, but I was hoping to get help with two additional problems:

  (1) Has anyone in the group had any experience with media players in
openSUSE?  I could get
      neither Banshee nor Totem--the default Gnome media players--to play ANY of
my video
      files.  Then I recalled having used VLC in Windows a few years ago, and
decided to check
      out their web site.  Being a Newbie, I wasn't sure about the installation
procedure, but
      tried downloading their latest RPM, and the package installer took care of
the rest.  To
      my utter amazement, VLC played EVERY video file format perfectly, except
for my .mov
      files, which it also played, but in a jumpy, hesitating fashion.  To be
perfectly honest,
      I've also had trouble getting media players to play my .mov files in
Windows.  Even with
      additional XP or Vista codecs installed, Windows Media player usually was
useless, and
      even iTunes and QuickTime didn't do the job, and .mov is supposed to be a
QuickTime
      format!  The only media player that appears to play my .mov files halfway
decently in
      Windows is Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is also free.
Unfortunately, they
      don't appear to offer a Linux version.  My question is: "Does anyone know
of a reliable
      media player--or at least codecs--that will play my .mov files?"

  (2) In intend to log onto the Linux and openSUSe forums for advice, but I also
was wondering
      if anyone knows of an instructive document or publication available for
download--perhaps
      something along the lines of "Linux for Dummies"  or  "Bash for
Dummies"--that would offer
      examples with illustrations for learning the Bash commands and writing
scripts.

My goal with all of this extends far beyond simply developing Linux
proficiency.  I've often read posts from brave souls who've actually developed
their own scripts in order to customize Scribus functions, and I hope
someday--God willing that I live long enough--to be included in this group.
Anyway, I apologize for digressing from the focus of this group, and I
appreciate the indulgence and patience you've all offered me.

Bob Marma  [ Scribus "Newbie" and Linux "Newborn" ]