[scribus] FINALLY MADE THE PLUNGE TO LINUX!/installing applications

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 11:54:27 CEST 2010

I've used Linux for years. I started on Slackware and any applications
had to be compiled using a Makefile include in the accompanying tar
file. It usually worked, but if it didn't I had to roll my sleeves up
and see what the problem was - usually missing libraries. Also, any
kernel updates required rebuilding the kernel form scratch.

More recently my Linux requirements have been met with Xubuntu, a
flavour of Ubuntu, which has transformed my Linux experience. Installing
an application is as simple - sometimes more so - as installing an
application on Windows. It really is ridiculously easy. Kernel updates
are also handled seamlessly. The only reason I have for continuing to
have Windows on a machine is for Photoshop (yes - I know Gimp is good,
but it's still not up to PS).

Jim