[scribus] Naming scrapbook directory.

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 23:57:12 CEST 2010

On 09/18/2010 05:35 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 09/18/2010 01:28 PM, John Culleton wrote:
>> I have never had the need before to use the scrapbook but today is
>> different.
>>
>> I did some stumbling around and now my scrapbook items are stored in a
>> directory I was using for something else. It seems each item generated
>> two files, one .sce and one .png. When I open Scribus (1.5.0) with a
>> new document, that directory is designated as "main" and the items
>> appear in the scrapbook.
>>
>> Question: when storing scrapbook items does the directory need to
>> exist already? The scrapbook dialog seems to allow the selection of an
>> existing directory but not the creation of a special scrapbook
>> directory.
>
> The two items are the *.sce file, which is the actual item being
> 'scrapbooked', and the other *.png is just a thumbnail image to show up
> in the scrapbook dialog.

to answer the other part of your question, and guessing a bit, since it
would take some time to be sure about all of this, by default, things go
into ~/.scribus/scrapbook/main/.

When the Scrapbook dialog is open, you can make a new 'page' of items,
or you can save your scrapbook to another file, anywhere you want, and
you can create a new file. You can load from that file later on in
another document, again from the Scrapbook dialog.

The other folder, ~/.scribus/scrapbook/tmp/ is where copied items go,
when you do Ctrl+C, for example. This is a selection in Preferences >
Scrapbook. This will be cumulative for your session, allowing for using
'old' copied items, even in a new document. Even if you close the
document they came from, they will be accessible until you quit Scribus.
When you open Scribus again, your Scrapbook > Main items will be
available again, thus the benefit of saving there rather than just
relying on automatic saving of copied items.

As you create new pages and copy items, they will be accessible as tabs
in the Scrapbook dialog.

I agree that this should be better covered in the next version of the
manual.

Greg