[scribus] Making PDF smaller

Anders Källström anders at texnat.se
Tue Sep 14 16:33:19 CEST 2010

  On 09/08/2010 06:32 PM, Rudolf Vavruch wrote:
> Thanks for the links.
>
> I tried the running this:
>
> pdf2ps -dLanguageLevel=3 myfile.pdf
>
> but when the output ps reached around 2GB it crashed with the following error:

Hi, I have been lurking on this list for a while and have also had the
need to reduce the size of pdf-files produced by Scribus.
I work in linux (ubuntu 10.4) and run Scribus 1.3.8 (love the program
but I am really a LaTeX person).
What turned out to work best for me was the following:

Print to a ps-file from Acrobat Reader (custom print in order to set the
correct pagesize)
Redistill the ps-file to pdf via ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=\screen

One extreme case I had was a pdf-file of 184MB which printed to a
ps-file of 318MB. But then redistilling it gave a pdf-file of only 2.2MB.
It looks perfect on screen (which was the purpose) but in fact it also
prints quite reasonably.

Even with the option \printer instead of \screen the pdf-file was only
38MB, a considerable reduction from the original 184...

--
/Anders K
TeXNaT                                            Web: www.texnat.se
Anders Källström                             Email: anders at texnat.se
Arkitektvägen 6                              Tel: +46-(0)18-36 40 29
740 20 Vänge                                     Mobil: 070-225 2286