[scribus] a proposal regarding styles

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 18:39:42 CEST 2010

This might eventually become a feature request, but first it may be need
some refining.

I would like to propose for consideration having a repository of sorts
(maybe as part of Scrapbook or a separate feature) that contains a list
of Styles (Paragraph, Character, and maybe even Line), that can be saved
like items are saved in Scrapbook and can then be used generically in
Scribus.

While there is the capability already to import a style from another
document, it seems that styles are more important than having to
remember the name of a file in which a particular style resides, then
having to choose from a list. Yes, one can certainly create a "dummy"
document that simply contains a large number of styles, but it seems
like these sorts of things never happen despite best intentions.

Humans are creatures of habit, and I can certainly envision having a
(somewhat) short list of styles, which I might choose from for a
particular purpose, yet in an individual document tweak a bit for very
specific use. If all I might want to change is font size or line
spacing, having the rest importable in an easy way helps my workflow
considerably.

Secondarily, I think this then leads to consideration of some kind of
tabular display of the particular features of a given style, showing me
font, size, linespacing, other tweaks so I have something to see whether
the A, B, or C choice of very similar styles is the one I'm looking for.

Greg