[scribus] Automagically insert correct German quotation marks instead of manually inserting them?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 15:50:22 CEST 2010

2010/8/29 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>

> On 08/18/2010 04:58 PM, a.l.e wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:42:51 +0200
>> Thorsten Panknin<thp at thorstenpeh.de>  wrote:
>>
>>  *bump*
>>>

>> no
>> a.l.e
>>

> Here is something I've put together over the weekend:
>

> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Convert_Typewriter_Quotes_to_Typographic_Quotes
>
> As written, it will convert typewriter quotes to typographic quotes in a
> single selected frame. The logic is a bit kludgy, but it performs pretty
> well. So far, you can choose English or German style quotes, others to come.
> Do not expect it to be perfect, you will still need to scan your document to
> see how it did, and as always, save your document just before running the
> script.

Hi Greg,

I was wondering whether this was a job for Short Words?

I have a dream that Short Words is the typographic tool we need to tackle
many of those issues.

In French, since the quotes are preceeded and followed by a word space, it
might be kind of tricky to set the rules for a computer to make the
appropriate call where a human would figure out in a fraction of a second
what is opening and what is closing...  But we could tell the computer to
look for the next quote and then set the first to opening and the second to
closing. This might need much more thought...

(I left my answer unfinished for days and now I am reading the post by Axel
Bojer, very interesting!)

What occurs to me is that unless there would be some coding mysteries (for
me at least!), such tables that make such auto replacements could (should?)
be in the Short Word table?

We could then have a powerful tool to manage typographic rules according to
each language (or even better, according to just any given case).

I think that Short Words is the home for this !

Louis