[scribus] adding imposition tool to Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Oct 31 15:18:22 CET 2010

On Saturday 30 October 2010 18:14:22 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 04:24 PM, Robert Marma wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >     For whatever it's worth, I would like to insert my "two
> >     cents" regarding the
> >
> > discussion of the value--or validity--of adding an imposition
> > utility to Scribus...
> >
> >     So, yes, the idea definitely has my vote.  Those who still
> >     would prefer to
> >
> > use other methods can continue to do so, but for the rest of us,
> > I believe this addition--or at least, a plugin option--would be
> > most welcome. :)) Unfortunately, I lack the coding skills to
> > implement this change, otherwise I would have been happy to give
> > it a try myself.
>
> One thing we might consider is a more generic ability to rearrange
> pages in the output PDF, one kind of rearrangement being
> imposition for some printing purpose.
>
> Greg

PSUtils programs psbook and psnup can do the rearrangement into
signaturesl

I convert a pdf in normal page order to postscript and then run a
script I wrote many year ago to impose the letter size pages on
tabloid size sheets. I have posted this linux script many times but
here it is again:
-------------------------
psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
#lpr $1o.ps
#echo 'switch paper'
#read x
#lpr $1e.ps
#rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps

There are a few features available in pdf not found in ps but in
general if ind the two pretty much interchangeable using tools like
pdf2ps and ps2pdf as found in the Ghostscript package.

One of the differences between MSWin philosophy and Linux philosophy is
that Linux, really a clone of Unix, depends heavily on pipelines where
a pipeline connects several independent programs by a script. The
above script is an example of this. Windows users can do the same,
except that the bat file facility in Windows won't take parameters in
the same way that the above bash script does. So the names of the files
would have to be written in the bat file explicitly.

--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/