[scribus] Launching with "scribus -fi"

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 02:46:54 CEST 2010

One of the tidbits that I discovered while reading the Scribus manual
was that launching Scribus from the command line with "scribus -fi"
would list all installed fonts and duplicates. I have a lot of fonts
installed on my Fedora 11 x86_64 computer, and I'm pretty sure I have
at least a few duplicates. So I jumped at the opportunity to get a list
of duplicates in order to do a little housecleaning.

Unfortunately, although I made the terminal window as tall as I could,
it listed too many and the top portion was cut off. However, there is
an even bigger puzzle. In the list of duplicates I found dozens and
dozens of lines like the following two (sorry about the word wrap in
the e-mail):

fontconfig)

Font /home/jjj/.fonts/KozMinStd-ExtraLight.otf(1) is
duplicate of /home/jjj/.fonts/KozMinStd-ExtraLight.otf(1)

Apparently fontconfig is messing up the report, since the font in the
above example appears only in ~/fonts/ and is not really a duplicate. I
don't know what fontconfig is or how to shut it up. Or how to tell
Scribus to ignore it. Or if I should tell Scribus to ignore it.

Some education would be helpful.