[scribus] Black and blacker.

Stéphanie Vilayphiou stephanie.vilayphiou at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:56:56 CEST 2010

On 27/10/2010 18:47, John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2010 12:37:53 Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2010 12:11 PM, John Culleton wrote:
>>
>>> I am correcting a cover file built by someone else. The author
>>> wants a certain line of white text on black background covered
>>> up. No problem using a rectangle. But to get the rectangle to
>>> match in Scribus I need to use a new color of about 96% K. That
>>> makes the rectangle match in Scribus but unmatch in acrobat
>>> reader. A rectangle of pure 100% black does fine in Acrobat
>>> Reader but is noticeably blacker in Scribus.
>>>
>>> I am using the latter choice. But only the proof copy will tell
>>> for sure.
>>>
>>> The original artist used Photoshop at some point in the process.
>>> Who knows what black she or he used? However it is interesting
>>> that a black background which is jet black in Acrobat Reader
>>> shows up as a very dark gray in Scribus.
>>>
>> we have had this sort of discussion before:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/What_is_Rich_Black%3F
>>
>> The casual user has to become aware that there is Black, and there
>> is Black. Intuitively, people want some absolute blackest of black
>> in their output, but as Louis indicates in this quoted ML post,
>> there are technical issues that come about with heavy use of a
>> single ink or adding CMY to a lot of K.
>>
>> In the end, ask your printer.
>>
>> Greg

> The printer, in this case LSI, wants rich black but no more than 240%
> total ink coverage. The usual limit is 260%. I am just trying to match
> what exists on the cover.  I don't know a way to determine what the
> previous person used other than trial and error.  I am not dealing
> with LSI directly but through the customer.

ah sorry, missed that mail. you seem to know all that :)
If you want the most intense black, I suggest you follow up instructions
for Rich black if CMYK, or 100% black for B&W. I usually don't trust the
preview of colors in layout software. Acrobat has a pretty good color
and overprint preview.
does this help?
S.

--