[scribus] Import LatexPDF without rasterizing

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 18:02:56 CEST 2010

On 10/27/2010 02:21 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi martin
>
>> I've tried the TeX frame feature, but it always rasterizes the
>> output. I would rather have the text be actual text that can be
>> searched and copy-pasted when using a PDF viewer. I can import a
>> vector frame from the PS output from Latex, but that is just
>> converted to vector shapes. (And if I wanted vector shapes I would
>> use the SVG output that the latest version of TeX offers)
>>
>> Would you consider making it possible to import the text data from
>> PDF files created by Latex to a frame, while retaining the text data
>> and typesetting layout? Scribus wouldn't have to support editing the
>> text or manipulating the layout in any way, the only thing it would
>> need to be able to do is position the frame, and possibly manipulate
>> the text color for the sake of color management.
>>
>> Is something like that feasible?
>
> just check the "embed eps and pdf files (experimental)" box in the pdf export dialog...
>
> the experimental part is about doing just what it says: it embeds the pdf, with no further work (so you may screw your output if the color spaces don't match...)

I would anticipate at some time in the future there will be PDF editing
capabilities, since this is a common request, and probably when that
happens, text data will be accessible. It's possible that some of it may
come from evolution of the PDF format.

If you look at Adobe Reader's ability to export text, even there you
will see limitations.

Greg