[scribus] Imposition

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Oct 4 20:47:07 CEST 2010

On Monday 04 October 2010 12:47:10 Keith Abraham wrote:
> > My son, working with InDesign (not an amateur program in my opinion)
> > tells me that it has imposition.
> >
> > But I agree that I am an amateur in many ways, who uses Bookbinder for
> > the job. And so many with me, using scribus are amateurs. They want to
> > make something nice that isn't possible with for instance OpenOffice.org.
> >
> > Joop

> My apologies Joop. It was not my intention to be condescending. It's
> just that all the people I know who have needed imposition have been
> those who print the occasional booklet on their home printer.
>
> AFAIK Indesign has a plugin for imposition which has to be purchased
> separately so I suppose one could infer from that that even Adobe
> doesn't think imposition is a necessary function.
>
> But it does raise the question that as plugins are a such convenient way
> of adding functionality to an application perhaps it's something that
> should be built into Scribus. A future version perhaps?
>
> Keith

One thing that could help in this discussion is distinguishing between
imposition and booklet printing. The latter is certainly a feature that's
worth implementing (if someone has the skills and the time), the former --
rather not. There's a reason for imposition software being *very* expensive.

As for InDesign, there was/is a 3rd party plugin for booklet printing included
in a default install (at least in CS2 and CS3), but no real imposition
solution.

Christoph