[scribus] [scribus-dev] Announcement: Scribus 1.3.9 released

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:21:59 CET 2010

On 11/30/10, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

> * Translation files are now generated at build time, reducing SVN download
> time. Thus, it is now also possible to limit the number of UI translations
> during build time to save time and disk space.

Thanks :)

> ENHANCEMENTS TO THE SCRAPBOOK:
> * Items can now be copied, cut, pasted and deleted in the Scrapbook
> * Users can now select the Scrapbook folder when they are copying an item to
> the Scrapbook.

Unfortunately generating of thumbnails is screwed. For some groups of
objects it works, for others it doesn't. I haven't figured out why,
but you can see it for yourself, if you generate a new document from
template where all possible business cards are listed and try adding
separate layouts of busness cards from that page to scrapbook.

By the way, at least with GTK engine the last item in the list of
templates is rendered incorrectly: name of that item is cropped
vertically. Try running 1.3.9 with GTK engine, in NFT dialog choose
All or Brochures and scroll down.

> RESOURCES AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:
> * We have started adding new resources to the Scribus package, especially
> templates and colour palettes (among others Australian, British, French,
> Japanese and US national/government standard colour sets and Resene(R)
> colour palettes).

It looks *a bit* like you're adding things just because they are
available. Not sure if it's a good thing.

Sadly, http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9533

> * Some import issues with EPS files that don't conform to the specification
> have been resolved.

Which is rather nice, but still EPS with clip paths are a deal breaker
for some users.

> TYPOGRAPHY:
> * A script ("Autoquote") has been added to the Script menu that converts
> straight quotes in a text frame to correct quotation marks for many
> languages.

Sadly it's of little to no use for Russian users despite of claimed ru
support. Here is something for you to consider:

1. We do use french quote marks for phrases in Russian, but we still
use "" for phrases in other languages. The script doesn't make
difference between cyrillic and latin characters in text. If it finds
a ", it replaces it with a guillemet whatever the context is.

2. The script has no concept of nested quotes. In Russian we put
quillemets around the whole phrase, but use "" for nested quotes. Try
writing "blah "blah"", set ru and see what it does.

Overall, a nice bunch of improvements, but hopefully 1.4.0 will be a
great deal more stable and polished.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org