[scribus] Using symbols with Scribus

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 28 20:05:19 CET 2010

On 28/11/10 14:53, Margaret and George McIntosh wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2010 at 12:09, Alberto Zeni wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm using Scribus 1.3.3.2, 29 May 2006, Build-ID:
>> C-C-T-F-A-Mac/Aqua,
>> Ghostscript 8.50 version, on my Apple Mac mini G4 PPC and I'm using
>> Gimp
>> ver. 2.6.6 and noticed that neither with Scribus nor with Gimp I am
>> able to
>> type the symbol @. Maybe its due to the particular build for Mac
>> (?).
>> Alberto
>
> Alberto, I don't know anything about Mac but if I were in your shoes I would update
> to a newer version of Scribus. I would also make sure that there is a @ glyph in your
> font using a Character Map, or typing the text, in your font, into a text editor or Open
> Office to see if you are able to type the @.

I would also recommend to try and type the @ symbol in TextEdit. I just
made a test on MacOSX 10.4 with the Italian keyboard (which has the @ to
the left of 1, where the backtick should be), and it did not work. This
seems to be a bug in MacOSX 10.4 with the so-called International Keyboard.

You can use the Keyboard Viewer (from the International system
preference pane or the input menu if activated) and click on the @
symbol. This works for me, both in TextEdit and in Scribus. Or switch
temporarily to a US keyboard, where @ is at Shift-2. Keyboard switching
is very easy in MacOSX.

--
Martin