[scribus] Feature Request

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Nov 22 13:15:02 CET 2010

ciao ian

> Just a thought...
>
> I'm having problems with Story Editor crashing Scribus all the time
> (Ver 1.3.8) - and have reported this on this list. The reply was to
> rather work in an external editor (ie OpenOffice Word). I have been
> doing this and for general editing there are some benefits I find.
>
> Then a thought occurred to me.
>
> When working with Graphics in your document you can link the "Edit
> Graphic" option, from a right-click, to whatever Editor you want. And
> this works VERY well!! Why not do the same for "Editing Text"? I'm not
> meaning to get rid of Story Editor completely, although it might be an
> option, but I feel that a link like this would prove very useful to a
> lot of users. Right-click on Text Box, select Edit and you are in your
> WP. Do your text complete with all fonts, and other attributes and
> Save and it's all in the Text Box!!
>
> Worth a thought I think.

external edition of images and text are very different beasts :-)

on the one side, an image is just linked as is in the scribus document.
reloading it from an external file is an easy task.

on the other side, text is included in the scribus file itself and gets
transformed by scribus. some of the formatting applied by scribus are
not supported by the word processors, so a round trip scribus - oo.org -
scribus (as an example) is a hard task to support.

... what we need, probably, is a new story editor... if possible, one
which can work indipendently from scribus itself.

ciao
a.l.e