[scribus] Wish list, text properties

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 18:46:18 CET 2010

On 11/12/2010 10:19 AM, Steve Herrick wrote:
> Stupid phone. I was trying to say, any given tool or mode could activate the
> properties appropriate to it, and hide those not appropriate to it.

This, I think, is the next layer of the GUI that we should begin to
incorporate.

Just as an exercise in some kind of reality-check, I would say that
there needs to be a kinder approach to requests/demands/attacks about
such things from free, open-source software projects.

I work in a hospital where, as far as I know, 6-figure contracts go out
for the software that we rely on for patient information. There is no
mailing list, no contact person, no way of giving useful feedback to the
software engineers who make and develop this software. At most, I have
various hospital administrators that I can communicate with who function
as complaint sponges, so that you can rest assured that any feedback you
give them will be firmly encapsulated and never released in any useful
direction.

In contrast to something like Scribus, there is really a short list of
things I want to do when interacting with this software:

- find a list of my patients in the hospital
- look up information about these patients
- look up something on someone who was in the hospital, but has been
sent home or somewhere else

In spite of this, one must manually work ones way through the GUI, with
no way of customizing its operation for your particular use.

And so I end my rant, or anti-rant, for those who somehow feel entitled
to software that they can freely download and then demand that it
conform to their personal expectations.

Greg