[scribus] Different Scribus versions for MAC and Windows

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Nov 4 15:45:13 CET 2010

On Thursday 04 November 2010 10:13:44 Berthold Otzisk wrote:
> Submitted on 11/04/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Name: Berthold Otzisk
>    Email Address: otzisk at kurita.de
>    Subject: Different Scribus versions for MAC and Windows
>    Message:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I am using Scribus-Version 1.3.5.1 from 11th of August 2009 on my
> Apple Macbook Pro. On my Windows computer the Scribus-Version
> 1.3.3.14 from 27th of January 2010 is installed.
>
> It is not possible to share the same file in both versions. The
> Windows installation cannot read the higher version. How can I
> share files in both directions ?
>
> Best regards,
> Berthold Otzisk
>
>    About your Scribus program:
>      Version: 1.3.3.14
>      Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>      Build Date:
>    Your operating system and CPU:
>      Type: Windows
>      Version: WinXP
>      CPU type: 32bit (Intel/AMD - i386)
>
> The results of this submission may be viewed at:
> http://www.scribus.net/node/158/submission/585

You can't, at least not directly. The series 1.3.3.x has one internal
file format and the later series 1.3.5 through 1.3.8 et seq. has
another. The versions in this latter series can interpret earlier files
but the earlier 1.3.3.x versions are not able to see into the future
and interpret the later file format.

The simplest way out of this dilemma is to upgrade both machines to
e.g., 1.3.8, the "best" of that series to date. All your earlier files
can be read on 1.3.8. And by using one version on both computers you
won't need to mentally "shift gears" when going from one to the other.

There are other ways to go back and forth between one file format and
the other via the clipboard but they are clumsy compared to
standardizing on the later file format.
--
John Culleton, Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus" $5.95 at

Free eps format barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/