[scribus] Prinitng from Scribus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun May 30 17:39:31 CEST 2010

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:47:17 +0000 (UTC)
TSH <tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk> dijo:

>On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:56:05 +0200, peter linnell wrote:

>> Please read carefully:
>> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox
>>
>> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox1
>>
>> There are valid long standing reasons why the team reccommends Adobe
>> Reader for working with Scribus pdf.
>>
>> The others mentioned simply lack support for some of the more
>> advanced features of PDF which Scribus exports.

>It must be for a user to decide which is most suited to their needs.
>
>Personally, I keep Adobe Reader on a virtual machine, so that I can
>check and compare outputs. But for regular use on my daily machine, I
>prefer Evince.

Indeed, personal choice enters the picture for some people. For
example, I know many Linux users who refuse to use any software that is
not free and open source. Personally, I feel that limits my choices,
but if that is their decision, I must respect it.

I must note that the FOSS PDF viewers occasionally have a feature that
is missing in Adobe Reader. I have often used Evince's export feature
because it gives me more options than "save a copy" in Adobe Reader. And
performance varies a lot as well. I recently had to print a 100 MB PDF
created in InDesign with tons of scanned graphics and individual text
boxes. Adobe Reader took five minutes just to open the file, and
printing was glacial. Evince was slow also, but took only a minute to
open it. Printing was faster, but still too slow. So I exported from
Evince as PS, opened the PS in Okular, and resaved from Okular as PDF.
The round trips created a PDF that printed beautifully.

I keep installed Foxit, Cabaret, Adobe Reader, Okular and Evince. I
start with Adobe Reader, but quite often find one or more of the others
helps me get my work done more effectively.