[scribus] Scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue May 25 06:40:26 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2010 20:12:39 schrieb Jim:
> Submitted on 05/21/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>    Name: Jim
>    Email Address: findingskeeper at yahoo.com
>    Subject: Scribus
>    Message:
> I need to vent. I can certainly appreciate the incredible effort it takes
> to develop an application. I've written some code myself. But, above
> writing code, I've been doing desktop publishing since the early 1990's. I
> cut my teeth on Pagemaker way back when they were a standalone application
> from Aldus. I've used Quark and have settled on a beautiful application by
> Serif called PagePlus X4.
>
> I don't mean to be hyper-critical considering the PRICE of Scribus (free an
> open source is usually a good thing), but I say this with conviction that
> Scribus is the worst piece of software I have ever used; and I have used a
> lot of software over the years.

Thank you very much for the compliments. Troll?

> Counter intuitive, klunky and overall frustrating to the point of ripping
> the very hair out of my skull.
>
> The most ELEMENTAL thing you can ask of a desktop publishing app is how
> effortlessly you can manipulate a text block. Resizing, kerning, etc. all
> which apparently don't exist (with any level of ease) in Scribus. It took
> me 2 hours to figure out how to resize a font. It took me an additional 2
> hours to figure out how to recolor it. Again, maybe an hour on layering
> said text frame.

You know, there are things like an online help or a wiki that includes a
tutorial and much more details.

> If you need some inspiration on what a DTP should be, I suggest you take a
> look at PagePlus X4. It's a meager $59.99 and provides OUTSTANDING power
> and ease of use to become creative quite quickly.
>
> Again, I appreciate the developers time but I'd highly recommend USING a
> desktop publishing package before you all go out and try to create one.

You apparently never used a professional DTP program, and as far as I know, no
one in the printing industry uses PagePlus. Most use InDesign and XPress,
some use RagTime Solo or Scribus. I suggest you actually USE a PROFESSIONAL
DTP program before you criticise a program.

No regards, no signature