[scribus] File format changes between 1.3.5 and 1.3.6?

Marcus Holland-Moritz mhx-perl at gmx.net
Thu May 13 11:16:58 CEST 2010

Hi Andrew,

On 2010-05-12, at 23:41:56 -0400, Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
> > On 05/12/2010 01:00 PM, Andrew A. Gill wrote:
> >>
> >>  Will 1.3.3.14 work with Qt4?
> >>
> > I have no personal experience with Gentoo, but certainly in Fedora, Qt3 can
> > coexist with Qt4. Scribus 1.3.3.x is not unique in its need for the older Qt.
>
> Gentoo no longer offers qt3.

Have you read

  http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev-announce/msg_f295c1c2d9d70238d289de3a7ed5bf5c.xml

?

Especially the following part:

  "The deprecated ebuilds for qt:3, and packages using it, will
   remain available in the community-maintained kde-sunset overlay."

There indeed appear to be ebuilds for qt-3.3.8 in kde-sunset.

As QT ebuilds are slotted, I don't expect any trouble arising
from installing qt-3 in parallel to qt-4 (even with qt3support
enabled, as that's just to help developers to move to qt-4
without having to touch all of their code; it's still qt-4,
and not something that looks like qt-3 from the outside).

>From my past experience with Gentoo, there's little that you
can't easily fix on your own with a little research and/or by
dropping a slightly tweaked or old ebuild into /usr/local/portage.
Or, as mentioned above, by adding an overlay.

On 2010-05-12, at 10:20:05 -0400, Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> In order to keep using 1.3.3.x on my system, I will have to
> compile from scratch a legacy version of Scribus, qt3, libpng,
> and a few other packages, and install them alongside the current
> versions of those packages, since Gentoo is no longer packaging
> them, and the versions of those packages on my system no longer
> link.
>
> I really don't want to do that.

You probably don't have to. You can still grab the dead ebuilds
for Scribus here

  http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-office/scribus/?hideattic=0

and drop the one you want into /usr/local/portage and add that
as your local overlay in /etc/make.conf:

  PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"

You can do the same for other packages if you run into
dependency problems. The only trouble you might face is
that some old packages stop building with a new toolchain.
(But that's probably only to give you an idea of why the
Gentoo folks stopped supporting it ;) [*]

I really hope you find a solution to your problem.

If, as Christoph mentioned, 1.3.7svn is the solution to
your problem, even better. :)

Cheers,
Marcus

[*] No, I'm not and have never been actively contributing to
    the Gentoo core distribution; but it's by far my favourite
    flavour of Linux, as it sucks so much less than anything
    else I've tried. I _does_ give me headaches every once in
    a while, but it's usually stuff that can be fixed.