[scribus] Problem with text justification

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 15:02:32 CEST 2010

On 05/12/2010 05:27 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> ciao alessandro,
>
>> a.l.e.:
>> I have uploaded the .sla file, and the fonts and images too, at
>> http://web.tiscali.it/oct326/justif-problem.tar.gz, I hope that it's
>> useful. But I think the problem is not related to the particular
>> font, because changing font does not solve it.
>
> i could reproduce the problem with both 1.3.6 and 1.5svn.
>
> could you please upload the tar.gz to the bug tracker:
> http://bugs.scribus.net
>
> this is imho a serious bug and suggesting to change the font settings is imho not a good way to handle it.
> is scribus is about control on how the text is laid out and about good quality in the glyphs placement!

I think this is an issue, but maybe not necessarily a bug. Perhaps
Andreas can help us out, but I haven't seen a good explanation of how
advanced settings work. As one begins to combine various settings of
word tracking, glyph extensions, and optical margins, there may be some
expected anomalous behavior. It at least appears this is specific to
text flow around frame.

I don't know what "safeguards" there are (if that's the appropriate
term) to ensure that glyphs remain inside proper boundaries. Perhaps
there should be limits on possible settings to avoid such problems.

Greg