[scribus] Problem with text justification

Alessandro Levati 8av10s at tiscali.it
Tue May 11 00:43:49 CEST 2010

On 10/05/2010 00:13, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 04:13 PM, Alessandro Levati wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a new Scribus user and I am trying to learn it.
>> I am using Scribus 1.3.6 on Fedora 11. I found a problem with text
>> justification and I am not sure how to solve it.
>>
>> My document includes a large text frame, which is less wide than the
>> page, so an empty space is left inside the right page margin. Some small
>> images and text frames lie in that space, but they are wider, and so
>> they straddle the right margin of the main text frame.
>> In the main text frame, the text is set as justified (in the paragraph
>> style).
>> And this is the problem: the text justification near the small images
>> and text frames is incorrect.
>> I fear that my description is rather confused, so here is an image
>> showing the problem: http://web.tiscali.it/oct326/justif-problem.jpeg
>>
>> In the advanced justification settings I set minimum space width at 80%,
>> and glyph extension at 98%-102%. If I set minimum space width at 100%
>> and no glyph extension, the problem disappears and the text is justified
>> correctly. But I'd rather keep the advanced justification settings as I
>> chose. Is there any way to get the correct justification in this
>> situation?
>
> What you need to do is to adjust the text flow around frame. You may
> want to use a contour line for both of these situations so that you can
> make the text flow exactly where you want it.
>
> In Properties > Shape, select Use Contour Line.
> Then, in Properties > Shape, click Edit, bringing up the Edit Shape
> dialog. Check Edit Contour Line, so that you can adjust it to your needs.
>
> Remember, all of this applies to text flow _underneath_ the frame you
> are making these settings on.
>
> In complex situations, sometimes making empty frames with text flow set
> will take care of what you want to achieve.
>
> Greg

First of all, thanks to everybody who offered help.

Greg:
in my document the images are above the main text frame, and the text is
set to flow around the images frame shape. If I change it to flow around
the contour line, the outcome is the same. I also tried to insert an
empty frame above the text but below the image, and adjust the text to
flow around it, but again the outcome is the same (i.e. the
justification is still incorrect). Maybe I'm getting something wrong?

a.l.e.:
I have uploaded the .sla file, and the fonts and images too, at
http://web.tiscali.it/oct326/justif-problem.tar.gz, I hope that it's
useful. But I think the problem is not related to the particular font,
because changing font does not solve it.

Bill:
thank you for the suggestion about layers, as soon as I have time I'll
try it.

Thanks again to everybody for your help and for your patience!
Alessandro