[scribus] Problem with text justification

Bill208 repubo at gmail.com
Mon May 10 01:01:57 CEST 2010

Alessandro Levati wrote:

>  I found a problem with text
> justification and I am not sure how to solve it.

Alessandro,

I had the same problem recently and found that the solution primarily
involves two settings in Windows/Properties or F2.

I have both my text and images on the same layer; if you did the same, start
by making the image layer one level above the text. Select the image, open
Windows/Properties and in Properties select the X,Y, Z tab. In the Levels
box on the X,Y,Z tab click the up arrow one time.

If you use separate layers for text and images make sure the image layer is
above the text layer (Windows/Layers or F6).

In properties select the Shape tab. If this tab is grayed-out, select the
text and then select the Shape tab. In the Shape tab select Use Frame Shape.
(I found that for an image - a JPEG for instance, the Shape tab works; for
an illustration such as a vector file, Shape is grayed-out and you’ll have
to select the text, then Shape).

The text will now be adjacent to the border of the image/illustration. To
move the text away from the image/illustration, select the text, open
Properties and select the Text tab. Click the arrow to open Columns & Text
Distances. For the box labeled Right enter .250 for your straight-edged
image and .1250 for your round image. These are simply suggested starting
values that I have used for similarly shaped images/illustrations; adjust
those settings to your preference.

I’m using Scribus 1.3.6 on a Mac with 10.5.8.

Bill