[scribus] 1.3.5.1 exe

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 15:31:12 CEST 2010

On 05/07/2010 08:00 AM, Dai wrote:
> Compiling is not good enough. Linux is still in the dark ages. One thing
> you have to give windows credit for is, the ability to just grab a
> program and just install it. I'd like Linux to have the same sort of
> capability in Linux, not just one distro but, all distro's. Linux always
> talks about freedom but, it's freedom for developers not users. User
> freedom is usually restricted in some way. One way being the repository
> for example LTS Ubuntu try getting the newer version of programs back
> ported it doesn't happen. That's just one example there are many more.

If you're going to complain, you might as well know what you're talking
about, and you don't. Linux users simply have more options than Windows
or Mac users.

You can download a number of binaries for Scribus, and in addition you
can compile your own, if you want very up-to-date versions. You may not
want to compile for Windows (believe it or not, some do), but it's not
nearly as easy as with Linux.

We do what we can to try to guide users and help them understand the
various layers of versions that coexist. By the nature of the
development process, we need to make available some advanced versions so
that they can be adequately tested before they are deemed stable. If you
don't want to be a part of that process, then stay away from anything
but the stable version, for which there has long been a no-brainer
installer mode for Windows.

Many of us who are users but not developers appreciate the freedom we
have, but we're also used to some infantile whining we hear from those
using other OSes, even when they are being given something for free, and
without any restrictions on use.

Just don't expect sympathetic ears in this venue to these kinds of
nonsensical complaints.

Greg