[scribus] Deleting large image hangs 1.3.5.1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 09:27:11 CET 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:13:01 +0100
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

>hi john jason,
>
>> I have 1.3.5.1 on Fedora 11 x86_64.
>>
>> I accidentally placed a large bitmap image that was in my scrapbook
>> onto the pasteboard. Every time I try to delete it Scribus hangs with
>> CPU at 100%. I have tried in canvas view and from the Outline window
>> with the same results.
>>
>> The document is 96 MB and runs extremely slow, so it is really
>> painful to do anything at all. I have waited over 30 minutes after
>> attempting to delete the image and it is still hung, so I'm pretty
>> sure Scribus has gone into an endless loop and is not just
>> continuing to think about deleting the object.
>>
>> Is there a way to delete the image using a text editor? (Note: I do
>> not know the name of the graphic on disk, plus the graphic is used in
>> another document and I dare not delete it from disk even if I knew
>> its name.
>
>i would try to close scribus (if it has not shut down by itself),
>temporally rename the image and reopen the file...
>
>scribus won't find it anymore and you can delete the frame with the
>image in it.

As I said before, I do not know the filename on disk. It was placed
from the Scrapbook where it is known as "Copy of image."

But there is something else going on. Scribus is hanging constantly. It
hangs whenever I try to delete any object. It hangs when I try to
select any grouped object. And it is running twice as slow as it did on
Jaunty.

There is something terribly wrong with my installation of Scribus
1.3.5.1 on Fedora 11. I had none of these problems on Jaunty with the
same version of Scribus. It was slow, but never hung or crashed.

I installed it from the Fedora repos, but I'll have to check which one.
Maybe I added a repo for Scribus 1.3.5.1; I don't recall. I have no way
of knowing if a dependency failed to get installed, or the wrong version
of a dependency was installed, or what else might have gone wrong.