[scribus] change image folder

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 16:42:45 CET 2010

On 03/08/2010 08:24 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> dear ermin,
>> During the writing of a project containing several images, I thought
>> it necessary to change the folder name of the folder containing one
>> chapter of images. This off course triggered the preflight to mention
>> "missing image". So I had to re-enter all images.
>> Is there a workaround?
>> or
>> Would it be possible in a future edition of Scribus to make a feature
>> like: if "missing image" is triggered; ask "do you want to search for
>> the image?" or "Find images in folder <?>".
>> Since such a feature would have been helpful on other occasions as
>> well, this might also be good for others.
>>
>> Using version 1.3.3.14 on W7 platform.
>
> afaik, something similar is implemented in the upcoming 1.4 version.
>
> not sure if it is also available in 1.3.3.14, though. you should look
> for extras > manage images.
>

> if i'm not mistaken, you still have to relink each moved image... it
> would be indeed nice if the images manager could -- after asking if he
> should do it -- go through all the unlinked images and try to apply the
> same change to all the "undefinded" images.

There isn't any substitute for developing an ingrained workflow to help
prevent these things.
Collect for Output can be a way to manage this.
Making a symbolic link works in Linux (and probably Macs). For all I
know, one could even set up symbolic links on Windows using some sort of
live CD version. Windows can often follow some sensible rules for things
like this, even though they keep their users from knowing about it.
As far as editing the .SLA file, you certainly don't need Perl for that,
just search and replace in a text editor -- it's quite efficient.

Greg