[scribus] Can't show list of styles in Properties

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 19:42:45 CET 2010

On 03/07/2010 03:58 AM, K.King wrote:
> <<
> As Scribus advances direct editing of the text becomes less and less
> practical.
>  >>
> imho that to me sounds like a contradiction, for me I would see
> advancement as being able to do more powerful things by directly editing
> the text without having to launch story editor.
> I'd find it far more powerful and useful if the "advanced" features in
> story editor where directly available as a dockable toolbar(s) whilst a
> text frame (or multiple) were selected.

I think what a.l.e was trying to allude to is that, as Scribus develops
more features, and more robust ones at that, the idea of manually
setting and adjusting the various attributes frame by frame becomes
tedious and the source of much frustration and error.

One of the hallmarks of a well-designed and executed publication is
that, regardless of the design/layout choices, there is consistency. One
may disagree with the choice of a font or its attributes, various other
design features, but inconsistency is unforgivable, and this is
precisely what you are likely to get with many manually adjusted font
styles.

Imagine the expense, both monetarily and on a personal level, of paying
for printing of a high-resolution publication on glossy paper, full of
such mistakes. At the very least one becomes a laughingstock for those
who see this work.

Greg