[scribus] Problem with pdf, characters l - . only!

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Jun 18 05:04:46 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 18. Juni 2010 01:50:58 schrieb Julian Haines:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just completed a newsletter for publication with Scribus. It looks
> great on the screen and if I print pages directly from Scribus to my inkjet
> printer, they look good. However, when I view the generated pdf on-screen,
> all of the letter l characters are disproportionately wide, to the point
> where ll often displays as a single wide block! Many of the full-stop and
> dash characters have the same problem, but strangely no others appear to be
> affected.
> If I zoom in to 800% on-screen in acrobat reader the problem is much
> reduced, but is still present to a degree. If I print the pdf'd output to
> my inkjet, again the problem is reduced but is still present to a
> noticeable degree.
> I'm using Scribus 1.3.3.13 with gs8.71 on a WinXP platform. I have Acrobat
> Reader 9.3.1. I'm using only default Arial fonts as supplied with WinXP.
> Actually, I've also tried the A030 fonts, but saw no change in behaviour.
>
> Please, could anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed?
>
> Thanks,
> Julian

You just stumbled across an issue that's related to forced font outlining:
When a font is converted to outlines, all so-called hinting information (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinting) is lost. I assume you are using an
OpenType font, and I posted a solution that allows for embedding an OTF font
a few days ago. This should resolve your issue:
http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2010-June/038503.html

HTH

Christoph