[scribus] Scribus 1.3.7 Released spell check support under windows.

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Jun 15 22:53:27 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, 15. Juni 2010 22:36:53 schrieb Randolph Bentson:
> `n Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:32:50PM -0700, Nick Vettese wrote:
> > How is using multiple programs more efficient than using one?  I am both
> > a Windows and a Linux user, so you downward tone towards Windows users
> > kind of irks me, as I have been a user/administrator of both types of
> > systems for many years, so I am no Johnny come lately.
>
> The problem is you're in the middle of a culture clash.
>
> "A Quarter Century of Unix" quotes Doug McIlroy "This is
> the Unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do
> it well.  Write programs to work together. Write programs to
> handle text streams, because that is a universal interface."
> Asking for an embedded spell checker in Scribus violates this
> philosophy.

No, it doesn't. While I personally don't use a spell checker at all and
recommend using one in a text editor or a word processor before importing
text into Scribus -- if someone wants to check the spelling with a
computer -- there already is a spellchecker available. Unfortunately, this
version doesn't work on Windows, yet.

In other words, this is not a culture clash, but a simple technical issue.

Christoph