[scribus] Scribus 1.3.7 Released spell check support under windows.

Nick Vettese saprod_sj at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 21:32:50 CEST 2010

________________________________
From: John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>
Sent: Tue, June 15, 2010 2:25:31 PM
Subject: Re: [scribus] Scribus 1.3.7 Released spell check support under windows.

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 12:00:21 John Beardmore wrote:
> mrdocs wrote:
> > On 6/3/10 10:23 PM, mrdocs wrote:
> >
> >  The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of
Scribus 1.3.7.
> >  This new release brings us closer to version the next stable
release
> > 1.4.
> >
> >  During this development period the team focused on stabilty
and
> > correctness.
> >
> >  Almost 50 bugs have been resolved since the release of
1.3.6. In
> > addition, Scribus 1.3.7 provides some minor enhancements:
> >
> >  * New Scripter functions
> >  * Usability improvements
> >  * Translation updates
> >  * Updates to the documentation
> >  * PDF bookmark export fixes
> >  * Text layout fixes
> >
> >  The Scribus Team considers this version to be quite stable
and ready for
> >  many real-world use cases. However, since there are still
some
> >  annoyances that prevent us from releasing version 1.4, more
cautious
> >  users may want to prefer to stick with the officially stable
version
> >  1.3.3.14.
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Is three any more progress towards spell checking under
windows in the
> Scribus development releases ?  I had the impression that this
was
> fairly imminent with no technical barrier a year or so ago, just a
> matter of including aspell.h and shiiping the library with the
windows
> distribution. But no mention or sign of implementation since ?
>
> It would be very useful for some of us !
>

> Cheers, J/.
For long passages of text it make sense to prepare the text via an
editor program (I use Gvim) and use the built-in spell checker in
that program. Alternatively I like to use the ispell stand alone spell
checker after the document text is completed. Ispell is of course
delivered with most Linux systems or is easily downloadable. It is
also available for Windows. I find it to be a very fast way to
check/correct spelling. Most corrections are single key stroke.

I recognize that using a stand-alone text entry editor with a built-in
spell checker and/or using a stand-alone spell checker after text
entry are unfamiliar paths for most Windows user. But that is the
road to real efficiency, even on Windows. I would not want to use
the story editor for extensive text entry, with or without a spell
checker.  Instead I suggest keying text, then spell-checking text,
then flowing the text into Scribus.

YMMD of course.
--

How is using multiple programs more efficient than using one?  I am both a Windows and a Linux user, so you downward tone towards Windows users kind of irks me, as I have been a user/administrator of both types of systems for many years, so I am no Johnny come lately.

Nick