[scribus] Test PDF 993 MB

Jean Ghali jghali at libertysurf.fr
Tue Jun 8 01:13:50 CEST 2010

lars hennings wrote:

> Hi, Scribus works very well. A little Photobook 17,5x17,5 cm 112
> pages, all pages full photographies, makes a PDF-X3 of 993 MB. The
> images - jpg - makes 540 MB. Only few text, only few frames and
> groups with names.
>
> But why the PDF is so big? Shure I set full quality (zip) and 300
> dpi. Than it is the same to set the quality of compression to middle
> or maximum. It is both the same 993 MB. May be it differs if not set
> zip.

Hi,

Considering the fact that your original image uses jpeg format, there is
almost all chances that your PDF file will be bigger than expected if you
choose zip compression as zip compression is usually less efficient for
images than jpeg compression. Using jpeg compression with maximal quality
will provide  in almost all cases results visually similar to zip
compression with the advantage of sensibly reduced file size.

Jean