[scribus] Scribus

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:55:27 CEST 2010

2010/5/21 Jim <findingskeeper at yahoo.com>

> Submitted on 05/21/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
>   Name: Jim
>   Email Address: findingskeeper at yahoo.com
>   Subject: Scribus
>   Message:
> I need to vent. I can certainly appreciate the incredible effort it takes
> develop an application. I've written some code myself. But, above writing
> code, I've been doing desktop publishing since the early 1990's. I cut my
> teeth on Pagemaker way back when they were a standalone application from
> Aldus. I've used Quark and have settled on a beautiful application by Serif
> called PagePlus X4.
>
> I don't mean to be hyper-critical considering the PRICE of Scribus (free an
> open source is usually a good thing), but I say this with conviction that
> Scribus is the worst piece of software I have ever used; and I have used a
> lot of software over the years.
>
> Counter intuitive, klunky and overall frustrating to the point of ripping
> the
> very hair out of my skull.
>
> The most ELEMENTAL thing you can ask of a desktop publishing app is how
> effortlessly you can manipulate a text block. Resizing, kerning, etc. all
> which apparently don't exist (with any level of ease) in Scribus. It took
> me
> 2 hours to figure out how to resize a font. It took me an additional 2
> hours
> to figure out how to recolor it. Again, maybe an hour on layering said text
> frame.
>
> If you need some inspiration on what a DTP should be, I suggest you take a
> look at PagePlus X4. It's a meager $59.99 and provides OUTSTANDING power
> and
> ease of use to become creative quite quickly.
>
> Again, I appreciate the developers time but I'd highly recommend USING a
> desktop publishing package before you all go out and try to create one.

Hi Jim,

The reason for the many problems you are encountering is because there is a
not-so-well documented incompatibility between OS X and the 1.3.3.x versions
of Scribus. The developpers might want to explain further but basically this
is what the situation is.

The 1.3.3.x versions use Qt3 which has lots of quirks when running on OS X.
When working on a Mac, it’s advisable to download the current .dmg of
Scribus (now at 1.3.6) from Sourceforge. It uses Qt4 and even if it is a
developement version — and for this reason is not suitable for production —
it is fairly stable on OS X and you can expect more user-friendliness from
this version than the one you have tested.

If you’d like to really see what 1.3.3.x can do, then it’s advisable to work
on Linux or Windows.

Please give it a shot!

Cheers!

Louis