[scribus] scribus crash on startup, a posible fix

Eden Pastor help at scribus.info
Thu Jun 3 17:36:11 CEST 2010

Submitted on 06/03/2010
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]

Submitted values are:

   Name: Eden Pastor
   Email Address: edp22 at hotmail.com
   Subject: scribus crash on startup, a posible fix
   Message:
hello Scribus team!

i'm a dominican graphics designer interested in open source software. i'm
running Mac OS 10.4.11, on MacBook intel core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM.

i've experienced the Scribus 1.3.6 crash on opening, and i read about this
crash in Scribus faq documentation. but i didn't find instructions for how to
fix it.

i created some simplified steps to fix this problem, and others that Scribus
gave me. before this, i actually read a lot of help, built and installed my
sources completely and did lots of drag-and-drop tests, but i don't think is
necessary to tell the whole story. i applied this fixes the first time to
scribus 1.3.6 on may 28, 2010, but i could not contact you then. i replicated
the exact same errors with scribus 1.3.7 on june 2, 2010.

here is a part of the freetype error i saw for 1.3.6:

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _open$UNIX2003
   Referenced from:
/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libfreetype.6.dylib
   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

i thought i had a clue about the problem. the file "libSystem.B.dylib", in my
system does not contain "_open$UNIX2003", it contains "_freopen$UNIX2003"
instead. libfreetype-2.3.12 creates a file called "libfreetype.6.dylib", wich
does not contain either "_open$UNIX2003" or "_freopen$UNIX2003". i can fix
that problem like this:

cd /libfreetype-2.3.12
./configure
make
cp /freetype-2.3.12/objs/.libs/libfreetype.6.dylib
/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks/

this small procedure, fixes the first problem. because ghostscript is not
installed, the software tells me i can't use EPS images or Print Preview. so
i installed ghostscript. then, to export a CMYK separation, when i try to
activate "display CMYK" on print preview window, Scribus closes immediately.

here is a part of the libtiff error i saw for 1.3.6:

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _open$UNIX2003
   Referenced from:
/Volumes/Disk2/Scribus.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libtiff.3.dylib
   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

again to the terminal:

mv /Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks/libtiff.3.dylib mv
/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks/oldlibtiff.3.dylib
cd /tiff-3.9.2
./configure
make
cp /tiff-3.9.2/libtiff/.libs/libtiff.3.dylib
/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks/

now everything's fine, same fix for 1.3.6 and 1.3.7.

the original libtiff.3.dylib also has _open$UNIX2003 in its contents, but the
new file does not. all my files are intel executables only, i don't know how
to compile universal. i'm only sure it works on this configuration. hope this
helps, thank you for your time.

   About your Scribus program:
     Version: 1.3.6
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date:
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: MacOS X
     Version: 10.4.11
     CPU type: 32bit (Intel/AMD - i386)

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/442