[scribus] Wiki-page for discussing features in layout software

alessandro rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jun 2 22:29:29 CEST 2010

ciao achim

> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Discussion:_Practical_Needs_in_Layout_Software
> In this file, I've been collecting my ideas and experiences from
> nearly eight years of working on Linux-Magazin (Germany).

last week i've finally read the linux-magazin's article from the 08/08 issue and i've some of the topics in your article.

one topic which interested me, and which is mentioned in both texts, is the lack of functionality in the master page and -- this is the most interest part -- the role of the library.

in his article, peter kreussel tells us that scribus follows a particular concept ans uses library's element instead of master pages. afaik the devs are more suggesting to use the library as a workaround and haven't really developed a concept there... still...
in your article you do praise the flexibility of the library, too.

this list has already discussed in depth, how difficult it is to implement a sane solution for modifiable master pages, so i will try to follow you on your path and propose another approach:
- the master pages only contain content which is common to all pages based on them.
- the library is extended in such a way that it allows a consistent and practical way to add content which is shared by several pages.