[scribus] Changes to Gnome input method

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 16:47:39 CEST 2010

According to a thread on the Gnome e-list there are changes to the
method used for keyboard input of special characters that people using
Fedora 13 have discovered. Here, I am not speaking of typing accented
characters as in many languages, because those are "whole characters"
where the letter and the diacritic are available as a separate glyph in
most fonts. Instead, I am speaking of combining diacritics that are
available only in certain fonts.

Apparently the change will require iBus (which I have no understanding
of), which will make Ctrl-Shift-u + Unicode value no longer work. That
is, it is possible to make it work for gtk+ apps, but not for others,
and the default is to disable Ctrl-shift-u for all apps.

I have the latest development version:

Scribus Version 1.3.6
Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.8.8-64bit
Using Ghostscript version 8.71

On Fedora 11. Ctrl-shift-u works fine. I was planning on upgrading to
Fedora 13 eventually, but it is a one-way street. Going back to Fedora
11 would require a complete reinstall that would take several days
of work. If someone here has Scribus on Fedora 13 with Gnome desktop can
you please try Ctrl-shift-u and tell me if it still works?