[scribus] Scribus vs Quark?

Gerard Cunningham gerard at faduda.net
Sat Jul 31 23:06:07 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 21:45 +0100, Jim Ford wrote:
> On 7/31/2010 9:34 PM, Gerard Cunningham wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 21:25 +0100, Jim Ford wrote:
> >> How does Scribus compare with Quarkxpress? Is Scribus likely to be
> >> appropriate for what I want to do, or am I going to 'hit a wall'
> >> eventually and wish I'd sported the (considerable) outlay for Quark?
> >>   Though as far as my
> >> experience goes, Scribus should be able to do what you want, unless you
> >> have some unusually exotic requirements.
> >>

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I can't say that what I want to do is 'exotic'- just mixtures of images
> and text on pages. You've really answered my question, so I'll give
> Scribus a go.

You might want to hold on and get a few more replies. One problem I
understand exists (though I haven't encountered it personally) is that
Scribus wil struggle with lots of pages, especially if they're image
heavy. Of course, it can be overcome by creating several Scribus files,
one per chapter perhaps.

On the other hand, Scribus is free, so it's worth at least downloading
and spending an evening or two toying with. Just read the manual/FAQs
first and get a feel for what's possible. There's plenty of help
available on this list too if you hit any speedbumps along the way.

--
Gerard Cunningham
Journalist