[scribus] manual

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 19 03:16:25 CEST 2010

On Sunday 18 July 2010 14:34:23 Margaret and George
McIntosh wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2010 at 14:10, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 July 2010 12:30:37 Alexandre Prokoudine
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > manual. Few open

> > > Quite in opposite. Most GNOME and KDE applications
> >
> > have manuals. Just F1 :)

> > > Producing a PDF out of DocBook/XML from any
> >
> > GNOME/KDE app's help is
> >
> > > not exactly rocket science.

write, or

> > can't

documentation

> > is important.
> >
> > > Writing documentation is not job of a programmer.
Then

> > don't have to
> >
> > > even think about it.
> >
> > In my days as a programming supervisor, it was
considered
> > good form to create user documentation first, then do
the
> > coding to fit. For program documentation (HIPO
diagram,
> > flow chart, Decision Logic tables etc.) that was
generally
> > done and approved before coding started.
> >
> > In today's world things are different, but the person who
> > understands the functionality is still the best person to
write
> > the user guide. I have never understood the
unwillingness of
> > programmers to write user guides. After all, English (or
> > whatever) is just another language, like C or Python.
>
> Have you ever read some of Microsoft's help and users
manuals? They are
> written in a language I don't understand, even though it is
English. Are
> they written by programmers?

The installation instructions for e.g., Win XP is about as far
as I have gone with Microsoft.  I don't doubt that many
programmers write lousy instructions. I have never
understood why.

The current Scribus Manual is pretty good. Some of the
books on Gimp, Incscape etc are excellent. The first part of
the documentation on the Memoir class of LaTeX is a gem,
and has now been made available separately. It describes
what authoring, layout etc. is all about in generic terms.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press