[scribus] Document margins and PDF creation

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 14:49:40 CEST 2010

On 07/08/2010 04:34 AM, Graham Gough wrote:
> Submitted on 07/08/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
> Name: Graham Gough
> Email Address: graham.gough at oup.com
> Subject: Document margins and PDF creation
> Message:
> I can't find any reference to this already, but I apologise if I've
> missed it: when I create a pdf, Scribus is adding my printer margins to
> my document margins, and thereby 'shrinking' the pdf image and to
> produce the wider resulting margins.
> I'm using the latest stable version on Mepis 8, but the same occurs in
> Windows XP.
> The printer is an HP Officejet.
> Changing the printer margins to zero before creating the pdf has no
> effect whatever.
> Is there a means by which Scribus can be disassociated with the printer,
> so that the margins are not brought in?
> When printing to paper directly from Scribus, everything is exactly as
> it should be.
> When creating a pdf in Windows XP using PDF Creator instead of the
> built-in Scribus PDF creation function, everything is fine (but PDF
> Creator is unable to handle imported placed pdfs, so it isn't the
> solution).
> Or am I missing something very basic (I am new to Scribus, but do use
> Quark).

If I understand you correctly, this sounds like an issue with your PDF
viewer rather than Scribus or specifically the PDF or even your printer.

Adobe Reader has options when printing to shrink your PDF in various
ways, and in many cases you want to have it do no adjustments whatsoever
(select None). See if that works.

Greg