[scribus] PDFs for CreateSpace

Tom Tom at tuxedo-press.com
Mon Jul 5 21:25:09 CEST 2010

For detailed instruction see my e-book listed below. For LSI a common
strategy is to just leave the bar code rectangle blank and let them patch it
in.

I have produced pdf covers that ran without difficulty on 360 Digital and
Lulu. LSI is a bit more difficult  For LSI make sure you use pdf x/1-a
format and don't use a rich black with more than 240% ink coverage. I built
my own rich black in Scribus. Bar code should  be pure black, not rich
black.

As an alternative, to get around some problems LSI has with layers etc. save
the file as tiff instead of pdf. Of course you still must use CMYK colors
throughout. LSI will accept tiff.

I have no idea why Createspace had a problem. I will try them next.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

Thanks for the TIFF hint for LSI, John. That could save some grief. Also,
letting them provide the barcode should sidestep the rich black issue.

Unfortunately, letting CreateSpace provide the barcode isn't a good option
because they just put 90000 in the price field even though the retail price
has been provided to them.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax