[scribus] PDFs for CreateSpace

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jul 4 20:09:49 CEST 2010

On Sunday 04 July 2010 10:28:32 Tom wrote:
> I created a PDF for a the cover of a book using Scribus.
When CreateSpace
> printed that book, the barcode on the back cover (an eps
file placed there
> when creating the cover in Scribus) was printed in its
proper place but was
> also overlaid on top of another graphic on the back cover
and was stretched
> to the height of that image. CreateSpace, when informed
about the problem,
> made some unknown adjustment and printed the cover as
expected. They cannot
> or will not tell me what caused the problem. Since this
has happened twice
> now, I suspect that something in my file is causing the
problem. One font
> family was not embedded but their pre-flight software
should have
> identified that. And it doesn't seem like that would have
caused this kind
> of problem.
>
> Two questions about creating book covers with Scribus:
>
> 1.       Exactly how should I created prepress PDFs for
printers?
> 2.       Has anyone successfully created PDFs for Lightning
Source using
> the Windows version of Scribus?
>
> Tom Benjey

For detailed instruction see my e-book listed below. For LSI
a common strategy is to just leave the bar code rectangle
blank and let them patch it in.

I have produced pdf covers that ran without difficulty on 360
Digital and Lulu. LSI is a bit more difficult  For LSI make sure
you use pdf x/1-a format and don't use a rich black with
more than 240% ink coverage. I built my own rich black in
Scribus. Bar code should  be pure black, not rich black.

As an alternative, to get around some problems LSI has with
layers etc. save the file as tiff instead of pdf. Of course you
still must use CMYK colors throughout. LSI will accept tiff.

I have no idea why Createspace had a problem. I will try
them next.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press