[scribus] how does scribus do justification?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jan 26 23:48:14 CET 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 12:24:31 EilertO at aol.com wrote:
> I am using MSWord at this time and am not very happy with how it justifies
> lines (only uses spaces between words, no kerning) and even less happy with
> page bottom justification.   Does Scribus offer anything better?   Also,
> are Word docs importable transparently into Scribus?   I am not yet a user,
> just want to know what can be done.
>
> thanks,   Eilert
> ==================
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Kerning between letters, also called letterspacing is not a good way to
justify. One guru is famously quoted as saying "A man who would letterspace
lower case would steal sheep."

TeX and InDesign justify a paragraph at a time instead of a line at a time.
This is the best justification. The famous MSWord gap toothed look is
eliminated. TeX also optionally allows for tiny adjustment to letter widths
which is much less noticeable than kerning.  TeX and InDesign also allow for
optical alignment (also called hanging punctuation) where certain small
characters are allowed to protrude into the margin thus giving the optical
illusion of a more solid block of text.

As I understand it optical alignment is available or will be available for
some versions of Scribus.  For paragraph at a time justification you need
either TeX or InDesign. I work in TeX for text-heavy books and Scribus for
highly formatted pages such as covers or coffee table books.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"