[scribus] Scribus 1.5.0 version.

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Jan 19 23:35:12 CET 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:23:22 -0500
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Here is my script, run as root.
> mkdir ~/src/
> mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
> rm -r ~/src/scribus_svn/*
> sudo mkdir /usr/local/scribus_svn
> cd ~/src/scribus_svn
> svn co  svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk/Scribus
> cd ./Scribus
> cmake  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> make
> sudo make install
>
> Any criticism?

Hi John,

That script is almost bizarre. If you haven't done so, look at
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_CVS_versions_with_CMake#To_start_the_build

1. You don't need to do a clean check out everytime. All you need to do
is to update your original checkout with

    svn up

2. Running the whole thing as root is fraught with all sorts of
potential pitfalls. The rule I suggest is never to do mundane work as
root.

3. I suggest that you work in your home directory;
   mkdir ~/src
   mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
   mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn_build

4. Then do an initial check out
   cd mkdir ~/src/scribus_svn
   svn co  svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk/Scribus

5. Next, do the configuring and making;
   cd ../scribus_svn_build            (Building outside your source)
   cmake ../scribus_svn/Scribus/
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
   make

6. Then as root, depending how you get there;
   sudo make install

OK, now you have done and initial build. Couple of days later you get
the urge to update. Do this;

7. cd ~/src/scribus_svn
   svn up
   cd ../scribus_svn_build
   make
   sudo make install

Sometimes step 7 goes belly up, in which case do a
   rm -rf ~/src/scribus_svn_build/*

and continue from step 5 above

Here is a script to automate all but the install
#!/bin/bash

cd ~/src/scribus_svn
svn up
cd ../scribus_svn_build
make

I am sure that will even work on Slackware

Owen