[scribus] Making an eBook with Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jan 14 23:05:35 CET 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 12:16:12 Aljosa Vidmar wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to turn a 100-page OOo Writer document into a relatively
> simple eBook with Scribus. I've dabbled with Scribus before (small,
> max. 3-page documents) and I've read a few tutorials, but I haven't
> found any directions on how to typeset a book. My text is, as I said
> before, an OOo document; it has 100 pages (9 chapters, TOC, front
> cover), there are no images, only formated text. I'd like to hear some
> tips & directions on how to go about this task. I don't need a lengthy
> tutorial, just very short (one sentence) instructions, step-by-step.
>
> Regards,
> Aljosa

I am curious why you just don't produce a pdf from OO Writer. The strengths of
Scribus are mostly wasted on a plain text document.  And the output file size
is hefty with Scribus PDF compared to some other DTP programs, an important
consideration with an e-book.

I started writing my e-book listed below using Scribus but the file size
quickly ballooned beyond what my e-book host would tolerate.  So I redid it in
pdftex.  Frankly it would have been easier in Scribus, but the file size was a
killer.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"