[scribus] Importing ODT text into a Scribus Table

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Thu Jan 7 13:24:22 CET 2010

Hi

We're using Scribus 1.3.3.13

A colleague who dislikes Scribus's table editing features, has put
together all her layout of content in a OpenOffice .odt file. We have a
Scribus file which has the nice colourful and positioned layout, that
requires this .odt content importing into.

For general text its easy to just import into a text frame, and copy and
paste.
But trying to copy text out of a Scribus Text frame and into a Scribus
Table is not so easy, it doesn't even paste easily either.

I know our workflow is not ideal, but has anyone any ideas to allow me
to get the table info out of the odt file and into Scribus easily?

And before you mention the wiki article about Complex Tables and
Scribus, the problem with that approach is that importing the text via
an OpenOffice Draw derived eps file leaves the text as an image, not as
editable real text, so we wouldn't be able to ever edit our text in the
Scribus file :-(

Hope this makes sense. BTW, the new table editing/layout features have
been on the roadmap since 2006, any idea when we might see them? Better
table facilities are definitely needed as they are quite a basic feature
of a DTP tool .... it really lets the side down from a quite wonderful
application ..

--
Kind regards

Julian