[scribus] Testers needed: New import filters

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Jan 6 06:00:43 CET 2010

Dear all,

As of yesterday, three new import filters have been added to Scribus 1.5.svn,
the experimental branch. The newly supported file formats are:

1) Quark XPress Tags. You can now import XTG files, including styles and
formatting information into text frames. Please note that Xpress Tags aren't
identical to Xtags. Support for Xtags will be added later.

2) InDesign IDML. IDML is the XML-based document exchange format introduced
with InDesign CS 4. Those who happen to have a valid InDesign CS4 license are
encouraged to export their ID CS4 docs to IDML and send them to the
development team, so that the filter can be tested.

3) Computer Graphics Metafiles (CGM). A rather old vector/bitmap format, but
an ISO standard nevertheless. There must be hundreds of thousands of CGM
files around, and the more testing material we receive, the better.

It should also be noted that there is an experimental import filter for Xara
Xtreme files, although the filter is already beyond the "experimental" stage.
Thanks to the many test files provided by professional Xara artists the
filter can be called "not 100% perfect, but more than robust."

Those who love to test bleeding edge code are invited to check out 1.5svn and
to compile it themselves. In addition, I also hope that we will be able to
provide packages for testing on OS X and Windows soon.

Finally, some good news from a remote corner of Scribus development: The OS/2
version of Scribus 1.3.5+ will reach Beta status very soon.

Cheers,

Christoph