[scribus] Import CMYK colours correcting from SVG/EPS

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Tue Feb 23 19:17:48 CET 2010

On 23/02/10 17:44, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 08:19 AM, Julian Robbins wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We've had some fund and games !!
>>
>> Not directly related to Scribus, but something I only found out about
>> recently is that SVG files only support RGB colourspace not CMYK.
>> Because of this, if using Inkscape, and saving in normal SVG format any
>> CMYK colours are saved into RGB equivalent. If I have a CMYK colour I
>> export as EPS from Inkscape, it too oddly won't save as CMYK, as
>> Inkscape still doesn't support this
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/171214
>>
>> Now what's all this got to do with Scribus ?
>>
>> Well although the colours themselves when you import these various files
>> ie SVG, and EPS are ok, the CMYK colour values aren't correct as you
>> expect.
>>
>> But after creating same files in Illustrator, and saving .ai, .svg and
>> .eps files, I would expect the .eps at least to show the correct CMYK
>> values on import into Scribus (using 1.3.6SVN), but it doesn't either.
>> The colour is more or less the same, but the CMYK values vary wildly.

>> values, similar colour match but wrong values.
>>
>> Am I looking at this the wrong way, but how do people using a complete
>> FOSS system actually get a a fully correct workflow with CMYK using
>> Scribus, etc ?
>>
>> Also, can you get the same actual CMYK colour using a different
>> combination of values of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black ? If so,
>> perhaps this is what's happening - same colour, but different
>> (incorrect) make up to achieve it ?
>>

> So when you "correct" colors, try to understand the subjective nature
> of this.

Hi Greg

I take your point, but one part of my query was why doesn't Scribus show
the same CMYK values for a colour saved as an EPS file from Illustrator
than what Illustrator does ?

I have a file with Pantone 575CVC green, which is CMYK 60%, 9%, 95%, 50%
as created in Illustrator (used as Inkscape can't accurately save CMYK
values into an svg or eps file).

But when I import the Illustrator eps file into Scribus 1.3.6SVN (or
1.3.3.13), the colour although closely matching in tone what was created
as the eps, has CMYK values 76%, 36%, 100%, 27%

So why aren't the values the same as what's in the Illustrator eps file ?

--
Kind regards

Julian