[scribus] Current doc filename from scripter?

Tom Lechner lechner at aceweb.com
Tue Feb 23 15:55:56 CET 2010

Hi,
A couple scripting questions..

1. I was wondering if there is any way to retrieve the current document
file name from within a script? I am writing a script to save a
document somewhere, modify it externally (with a system() call), then
load that document.

I'd like to keep both the original document and the modified document
open afterwards, but when I "save as" the current document, it clobbers
the original name; I can't "save a copy".

2. Also, if a script has error messages or warnings, how can I get
those to display in Scribus, rather than only on the console? Python
exceptions get displayed, but not sure how to get my own messages back
to Scribus. Do I have to throw my own exceptions? I've just been trying
to "print".

The script at the moment is this:
http://laidout.org/scribus/scribus-call-laidout-to-impose.txt
which calls my program Laidout to reimpose a Scribus document into
whatever imposition Laidout can handle, including booklets.

There are still serious deficiencies in haw Laidout handles Scribus
files, but most of the data it imports, it can export, even if Laidout
can't understand it. I'm working on it. Don't even think about using it
on something important. It is experimental.

-Tom Lechner
www.laidout.org