[scribus] Import CMYK colours correcting from SVG/EPS

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Tue Feb 23 14:19:37 CET 2010

Hi

We've had some fund and games !!

Not directly related to Scribus, but something I only found out about
recently is that SVG files only support RGB colourspace not CMYK.
Because of this, if using Inkscape, and saving in normal SVG format any
CMYK colours are saved into RGB equivalent. If I have a CMYK colour I
export as EPS from Inkscape, it too oddly won't save as CMYK, as
Inkscape still doesn't support this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/171214

Now what's all this got to do with Scribus ?

Well although the colours themselves when you import these various files
ie SVG, and EPS are ok, the CMYK colour values aren't correct as you expect.

But after creating same files in Illustrator, and saving .ai, .svg and
.eps files, I would expect the .eps at least to show the correct CMYK
values on import into Scribus (using 1.3.6SVN), but it doesn't either.
The colour is more or less the same, but the CMYK values vary wildly.

values, similar colour match but wrong values.

Am I looking at this the wrong way, but how do people using a complete
FOSS system actually get a a fully correct workflow with CMYK using
Scribus, etc ?

Also, can you get the same actual CMYK colour using a different
combination of values of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black ? If so,
perhaps this is what's happening - same colour, but different
(incorrect) make up to achieve it ?

--
Kind regards

Julian Robbins