[scribus] Footnotes

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Feb 17 21:21:20 CET 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010 21:48:39 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 02:41:08 +0100
>
> Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> dijo:
> >Am Montag, 15. Februar 2010 02:12:45 schrieb David Burleigh:
> >> Is there any automatic way to handle footnotes in .odt files?
> >
> >There is a workaround:
> >http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Footnotes_in_Scribus
>
> That is interesting. I have never needed to import text with footnotes
> into Scribus. It is good to know the workaround.
>
> A long time ago I imported text with footnotes into InDesign. InDesign
> also does not handle the footnotes, but it does convert them to
> endnotes so they appear at the end of the text. It does this even when
> copying and pasting from OOo. I selected the footnote portion of the
> text, cut to the clipboard, then created a new story. I threaded the
> new story into small frames at the bottom of each page where there was
> a footnote, each frame being just large enough to hold the footnotes on
> that page.
>
> Just now I tried to copy and paste from OOo into Scribus and it saved
> the footnote numbers in the text, but did not import the footnote text.
> I changed the OOo document from footnotes to endnotes, and still could
> not copy and paste the footnote text into Scribus. The problem is not
> Scribus; it is OOo. I cannot select the footnote text in OOo, therefore
> I cannot copy it to the clipboard. That is, I can select each
> individual footnote text and copy it to the clipboard, but I must do so
> one footnote text at a time.

There are as my father used to say horses for courses.  Other programs are set
up to  handle footnotes simply and elegantly. All versions of TeX handle
footnotes to perfection. Someday Scribus will be equally proficient but not
today and not soon. It works in a different way.  Use TeX or Framemaker or some
other program that was designed from the ground up for handling footnotes.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"